Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Nothing compelling here. 

Just thought I'd break the silence before it reached the 24 hour mark!

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...........................................................................................

..........................................................................................

............................................................................................

Geez!  I really didn't mean to start something.  Next, I suppose someone will post a video of them sitting quietly with a banjo and not playing!

I know you meant nothing by it

The mid-summer pause...................

Made any recordings lately, Al?  Tune of the Month? 

I'm trying to get past the 'thinking about it' stage..;o}

Al, I played through a couple of five step waltzes today at can you get Tim hooked up with one and do it duet?

Well, I don't know.  I've never discussed it with him but he's on this site.

I learned the 2nd one (I think) that I sent but it's not easy.

I think I'll try the first one out when I have a chance.  I have the same recording that the dancers were using.  I thought it might be in Foster's Social Orchestra book (1854) but I didn't find it.  Did you like any of the ones you found?  If so give me a source.

Al Smitley said:

Did I post this twice?  If so, sorry.  Wes, here is the 5-step waltz I've heard most often.

It was published in 'F'.  I transposed it to 'C' to keep it within the 5th position but it's still not easy.

The other one I have in audio is simpler and a good tune but there are so many parts/variations that I am reluctant to tackle putting it into MuseScore.

They change key three times as well as being in 5/4 ?   lol

Three key changes is not unusual for mid-19th C dance music.  Some of them, such as Jenny Lind Polka, Detroit Schottische (Flop-Eared Mule), etc., that have remained in today's fiddler's repertoire, have been reduced to two parts and often a single key.  But when you listen to the originals, I think the key changes really enhance the tune.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2020   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service