Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

The Fred Kelly Freedom Fingerpick is my new favorite gizmo. I just can't keep a fingernail and when I can, it's jagged from wood working. That damages my gut strings. I never could get a brass thimble pick to stay on or feel right. Here's a photo of the Kelly pick. With some sanding to make it fit perfectly, and shortening the 'nail' area, it feels invisible and my notes are clear and consistent, and louder. There's a link on my site to a guy who sells them with 2 day delivery.

Views: 515

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan'l said:

gutta-percha?
There's a word you don't hear everyday!  Just another good reason to frequent this site.

I made a brass pick / thimble. It was easier than I thought. Sounds more like a fingernail than plastic did. Maybe someday I'll learn to keep my fingertip away from sanders and I'll be going naked again.

My nail....I file it down as far as it can go. I have no external white tip out there. All the nail is supported by soild flesh underneath. The shorter, the better. Combine that with Hammer Strokes.....it's pretty solid.

That's Interesting Tim, my nail is a little thin, when it starts getting longer that's when it starts getting a little frayed. So that little tip of flesh I assume becomes more like a callus. When I have cut my nail too short that tip becomes a little sore. Just need to ride the storm out and get it tougher. Going shorter might be better. 

Tim Twiss said:

My nail....I file it down as far as it can go. I have no external white tip out there. All the nail is supported by soild flesh underneath. The shorter, the better. Combine that with Hammer Strokes.....it's pretty solid.

Yes, the tip of the finger IS part of it all.

Makes sense...going to try that approach!

I was never able to play this style effectively when I had any length of nail.....

I also had never heard of thimbles....or seen them. They were actually sort of hidden on the players I saw using them. I developed my style completely from the tutors, and trial and error.

I gave up any hope of continuing Classical guitar, and took the nail down to the nub. So glad I did it.

And actually, I got nothing against thimbles. It's just that part of the attraction of playing this music was that I did NOT need to remember a special pick to always have on hand. It was very liberating....freedom. Just the bare hand on a fretless board. It was just what I needed. I unplugged most of my life to enjoy the beauty and simplicity this offered. I don't think I could keep track of a special thimble, and needing it badly would make me insane again.

Well said, That is the beauty of these instruments, I love it as bare bones and organic as possible. for what it's worth one time I was messing around with the thimble I laid it down somewhere and looked all over, then stopped and thought I typically don't use this, so why am I going nuts trying to find it.  Well I better go get the clippers...

Interesting discussion. Nice to see different positions and how people personalize their approach to this early banjo material. 

I have very good, strong fingernails that seldom break or split and as a guitarist and fingerstyle banjoist I use a combination of flesh and nail to pluck strings. However, I've grown accustomed to using a thimble, especially when I'm playing in a downstroke motion for many hours at a time. After using  downstroke techniques since 1994, I find that the thimble helps to focus my sound while also not overusing the joints in my right hand. As I get older I notice that the large joint of my index finger is more becomes more fatigued when I don't use a thimble. Thus, for me, the thimble helps mitigate the long term repetitive motion concerns I have (i.e., it is functional for my own long-term preservation).

Ultimately, to each his/her own. I do what works and what helps me communicate most effectively as a musician. I can interpret the music and primary source material in literal ways, but I also don't have a problem varying my approach with various forms of experimentation in order to personalize the experience to my own sensibilities and satisfaction. Regarding being historically informed about playing technique, the historical record has many gaps that require us to invent personal solutions where it is necessary. For myself, I try to be as intentional as possible. If I am deviating from literal interpretations of period documentation, I know the difference, and can easily explain it to people who might be concerned about how my practices align with period sources.

Have a great Mother's Day,

Greg

I've learned that shorter nails are better ( clawhammer steel strings need longer nails ) but my problem, whatever length my pointer may be is, it's usually somewhat jagged or chewed up or just in bad shape and this would require a lot of "doing my nails." Banjo building is not kind to the phalanges. My new brass 'pick' is pretty cool, the unexpected benefit is the little effort I use to get a big sound. I've been used to guitar fingerpicks for over 30 years. The thing about them is whether you make em or buy em, you've gotta spend some time with a file and sandpaper because IMO the goal is to play without feeling them. Something else about using a thimble, it INSTANTLY took care of my clawhammery problem. The middle finger has nothing to do now, being unthimbled.

Doesn't a brass pick wear the stings more? Seems like flesh and nail wouldn't cut gut as much as metal but I've never tried one of those oldfangled things. Dave

this is the best info here, IMHO  I know we have all heard Tim play, It dang sure works for him. I have good nails and keep my index short, but a teeny bit grown out,,, Im going to file it off,   and check my tone. 

I have never liked any kind of fingerpicks , on guitar or otherwise, but what ever works for you you should do it.

Tim Twiss said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service