Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

A friend pointed this out to me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321037915053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

She thinks he's a blind player, possibly well known performer.

I'm thinking it's a posed studio commercial stereoscopic image of a non-player, along the lines of "Happy Slave" type entertainment images, especially since it's titled "Rustic Melody".

opinions?

Nice banjo, regardless.  :)

Views: 944

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Though Identifying the subject would admittedly be more interesting, I'm going to save, re-size, print, and try it on my stereoscope!

The second photo, that Dan posted, looks later to me.  Same jacket, but doesn't he look a few years older? Is that a canvas backdrop in the background?  And what's the 'hole' in his fretboard?- a coin inlay or something?  Looks like the photo has been cropped of it's natural edges- did someone crop out the other seated person?

Ok, I found the original web image, less cropped (still can't see the original edges though, the title of the photo, or the photo studio name may have been cropped out, it might even have been another stereoscope image, who knows):

It was posted here:

http://www.thebanjoproject.org/news.html

Honestly, it seems like another posed "Happy Slave" type studio image to me, the kid looks like he might be in blackface, and what looks like a canvas backdrop cloth with unrelated 'rustic' props- wateringcan, basket, plow, shovel handle as 'art'....?  At least, it seems this way to me, not a real musician portrait.   Maybe the same studio produced both cards to sell.

Unfortunate image, as stereotypically derogatory as it is sappy.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I'm asked to pose for a picture holding my banjo, my right hand automatically assumes a sort of natural playing position on the head.  I never splay my right hand uselessly upon the head.  I see the 'useless right hand' as being one of the clues that a musician image might be studio-posed by a non-musician model.  Not so much with the fretting hand though.

The banjo player is the first two pictures is actually really thoughtful looking in both of them. If the photographer was looking for a "happy slave" here, he seems to have come to the wrong shop.

Strumelia said:

Ok, I found the original web image, less cropped (still can't see the original edges though, the title of the photo, or the photo studio name may have been cropped out, it might even have been another stereoscope image, who knows):

It was posted here:

http://www.thebanjoproject.org/news.html

Honestly, it seems like another posed "Happy Slave" type studio image to me, the kid looks like he might be in blackface, and what looks like a canvas backdrop cloth with unrelated 'rustic' props- wateringcan, basket, plow, shovel handle as 'art'....?  At least, it seems this way to me, not a real musician portrait.   Maybe the same studio produced both cards to sell.

He seems to have much dignity.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service