Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Uncategorized (1,687)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Fretting over fretless

I play standard clawhammer banjo but I'm interested in exploring the roots of banjo - ie: minstrel banjo.  But, the thought of a fretless,…

Started by Steve Stroot

17 Sep 26, 2018
Reply by Al Smitley

New to old style playing

Hi all, just finished my first handmade banjo, made for reenacting as a civil war soldier. So now that I have the banjo I want to learn to…

Started by Ryan Carlson

2 Sep 23, 2018
Reply by Strumelia

Minstrel banjo project

Hey everyone, Thought Id post some pics of the banjo I finished today and get some feedback. I had made a small plywood banjo before this o…

Started by Ryan Carlson

1 Sep 23, 2018
Reply by Tom Taggart

Jim Crow Museum

Want to look this stuff right in the eye? Take the virtual tour, or better yet......go there. https://ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/index.…

Started by Timothy Twiss

9 Sep 20, 2018
Reply by Timothy Twiss

Briggs death bed photo

I am having a hard time remembering if there is actually a photo of Briggs in the death bed with Eph next to him or if I made that up entir…

Started by Chris Prieto

0 Sep 19, 2018

Converse Thumb Lead

Since The Convergence, I have jumped into the yellow Converse. I'm struggling with the thumb lead. I've stopped trying to cheat the walk ar…

Started by Rob Mohr

4 Sep 18, 2018
Reply by Rob Mohr

Hurricane Florence

How are Mark and Jaclyn and them holding up with this weather?? I hope everyone is safe and minimal damage done...i get the periphery winds…

Started by Rob Mohr

2 Sep 16, 2018
Reply by Scott Danneker

Ashborn style banjo build

I've built a rim with a wood flange for tension hooks along the lines of James Ashborn designs.  It's loosely based on Frank Ford's photos…

Started by Jon Whitney

0 Sep 13, 2018

Medleys

Hey all, I don't play the minstrel banjo as often as I do other styles, but I've been in a "minstrel" kind of mood lately. I find that a lo…

Started by david caron

1 Sep 13, 2018
Reply by Jon Whitney

Early Banjo Notation: A re-post over on the Hangout

A common stumbling block in playing old banjo music ( from the mid 19th Century ) is reading notation. TAB is the accepted norm for hobbyis…

Started by Timothy Twiss

2 Sep 9, 2018
Reply by Timothy Twiss

RSS

© 2019   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service