Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

New recording available-Buckley's Banjo Guide of 1868.

Ready to ship. Only $15.00 and this includes shipping.

Use Paypal at http://www.timtwiss.com/.

This 2 CD set contains 94 tunes....pure, simple, beautiful solo Minstrel Banjo.

You can also download the original book if you do not already have it.

Views: 1323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

placed my order this morning.  looking forward to it!

Elderly Instruments will also be carrying all the discs shortly. The 11 piece set is going to be $70.00, which includes everything....Briggs' through Buckley 1868. All single discs are now $8.00 plus shipping. Grab the Buckley set now, because in a week or so, I will use the new pricing.

Does anybody think a mix of the Weidlich books would be useful? Two of them are straight ahead books. One I believe, is a big collection. If someone could send me the TOC I would appreciate it. I never owned it, but I do not believe it had an accompanying CD.

Tim, I just purchased the new Buckley set through paypal.  Thanks for doing this!

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about or asking concerning the Weidlich books...? Are you asking if we think you should record audios for them?

I think I already have. It would be a matter of putting them on a disc as they appear. There may be a few strays...some Gumbo Chaff perhaps. I just don't know.

I have all three of his books. The two straight forward books are Briggs' and the Yellow Converse. There is an accompaning cd that has only certain tunes from both books, but you have to order it separately as it doesn't come with those books. The large book, The Early Minstrel Banjo, is a compilation of certain pieces from Briggs', Rice, Buckley 1860, and Converse 1865 Green and Yellow. There isn't an accompaning cd for this one.

Tim Twiss said:

Elderly Instruments will also be carrying all the discs shortly. The 11 piece set is going to be $70.00, which includes everything....Briggs' through Buckley 1868. All single discs are now $8.00 plus shipping. Grab the Buckley set now, because in a week or so, I will use the new pricing.

Does anybody think a mix of the Weidlich books would be useful? Two of them are straight ahead books. One I believe, is a big collection. If someone could send me the TOC I would appreciate it. I never owned it, but I do not believe it had an accompanying CD.

That is the one I was thinking of.

Is there any benefit to having a disc that matches the book?

oK, I'm thinking Weidlich should be consulted on this particular issue, for various reasons, perhaps obvious and not-so-obvious.  Is he around and able to be contacted?

One of the maybe less important reasons- tabs famously have many little differences from person to person, even if all the persons produce a tab from the same piece of sheet music.  In that respect, how Tim plays or fingers a piece may not be the same as how Weidlich might play or finger it- thus causing some confusion if someone is reading his tab exactly while listening to Tim's rendition.  I'm thinking the wisest course of action is not to promote such a disc as being audio versions of, or somehow connected to, JW's books.  But that's just my thought.

I thought he just transcribed the books?

I like Weidlich's books but there are some nail glides that just don't fit in. Like jogging then hopping on one foot for three steps then resume the jogging. I just do a pull-off on many of those. I've seen others do the same.

While I use Weidlich's tab books with some of my banjo students (they are handy),  I avoid all of his fingering suggestions like the plague. Also, The Early Minstrel Banjo, while a very useful tool in many ways, is full of outlandish assertions - such as the natural scale of the banjo is only to the 10th fret. His Indexes, however, are worth the price of admission.

But....( although I have never seen it ) do the notes remain true?

I actually only thought this may be a useful mix of tunes for some. I have heard that people need to "hear" the tune before they play it...even it they have the music. If the music in this collection is somehow drawn from the books of Briggs' through Buckley...perhaps it would be a useful aid.

Then again....maybe not.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service