Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I mentioned that weird trill from "Luke West's Walk Around" in the Green Converse. There are two of them. I am speaking of the one on page 61. Look at that piece and notice the trill with instructions, and check it with the directions in the front. Tough little thing to play. I could not quite get it at a brisk tempo, so I played the trill in another way. Anybody else stumbled with this one? 

Views: 51

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's the MIDI set @ 90bpm. That would be my target speed. Any faster and the turn at the end of the trill is lost.
Attachments:
Is that midi file okay? maybe its my player. Seems corrupt.
Well, I wish I knew what "Quick" meant back then. 90 just doesn't seem quick. Andante. Anybody have knowledge of the Walk Around in general to speak of tempo variance?
I have been having troubles with midi files and this group for some reason. The file won't play unless I download/save it...then it does just fine.

I like the speed of your video but the single-string trill seems to get lost. Tom Lather's version works nicely with the slower trill (16th note?)...but I suspect it ought to be 32nd notes.

Tim Twiss said:
Is that midi file okay? maybe its my player. Seems corrupt.
Well, I wish I knew what "Quick" meant back then. 90 just doesn't seem quick. Andante. Anybody have knowledge of the Walk Around in general to speak of tempo variance?
Tim--
Eureka! After two days of looking,, and at the risk of exhuming a dead horse, I found my Joe Ayers Converse tape. The item of interest is in a three-tune medley, and is the last cut on side two. Joe's rendition of the trill, if that is what it is, is every bit as amazing as I had remembered and is the reason I wrote him those many years ago to find out how in the heck he did that. I hope listening to this will be helpful for you. I'm not sure this is the "right " way to perform the trill, but I sure wish I could play it like that.
Rob, I'm just not finding it. Possibly when I converted, I left a track out. Can you digitize it? If not, I'll understand. I sure would like to hear it.

Rob Morrison said:
Tim--
Eureka! After two days of looking,, and at the risk of exhuming a dead horse, I found my Joe Ayers Converse tape. The item of interest is in a three-tune medley, and is the last cut on side two. Joe's rendition of the trill, if that is what it is, is every bit as amazing as I had remembered and is the reason I wrote him those many years ago to find out how in the heck he did that. I hope listening to this will be helpful for you. I'm not sure this is the "right " way to perform the trill, but I sure wish I could play it like that.
Tim-

Alas, I only have the tape at this point, though I am planning to convert all my minstrel banjo tapes to CD's. I do believe that I did talk to some people at EABG III that did have Joe Ayers on CD. I'll bet somebody could help you out there. And Joe Ayers does play the tune at a lively clip. Well, Good luck.

Rob

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service