Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I am sorry that I could not join you this morning for the final planning session.  An unexpected family health crisis prevented my return until you had all left.  

Susan passed along your ideas for next year and your hopes for the future and I agree with every one of them!  

Moreover, I want to thank you all for your personal support and your effort in making this AEBG such a success.  I was truly thrilled by all of the fantastic playing, Jim's great banjos and everyones willingness to both teach and learn.  


Your are a great bunch to hang out with and it has been my honor to have you!  See you next June 24th!  I can't wait!!!!

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am sorry I was still asleep when everyone was talking about these topics in the morning, as well as saying good-byes. I was strategically positioned under a morning shade tree to allow for maximum sleep-in.

However, I was elated to meet new people as well as visit with old people. It was a super fun weekend and I am really very grateful it happened. I am also excited for next year's gathering being juxtaposed with the other goings-ons around the battelfield. I think it will be a great opportunity to raise awareness of the banjo's role, not only in the Civil War, but throughout American history too.

I hope everyone experienced safe travels on their trek home and enjoyed their weekend just as much as I did. I thank you all too for being the people you are and keeping this lovely music alive.
I'd like to add my thanks to George & Susan for hosting last weekend's event event. It was great to meet everyone in the flesh and to have so many opportunities to listen to others and play together. I learned a lot and that's always a good time. Did anyone notice an old tin whistle lying around in the barn? I think I may have left it there on Saturday night.

Lucas Bowman said:
I am sorry I was still asleep when everyone was talking about these topics in the morning, as well as saying good-byes. I was strategically positioned under a morning shade tree to allow for maximum sleep-in.

However, I was elated to meet new people as well as visit with old people. It was a super fun weekend and I am really very grateful it happened. I am also excited for next year's gathering being juxtaposed with the other goings-ons around the battelfield. I think it will be a great opportunity to raise awareness of the banjo's role, not only in the Civil War, but throughout American history too.

I hope everyone experienced safe travels on their trek home and enjoyed their weekend just as much as I did. I thank you all too for being the people you are and keeping this lovely music alive.
We have the whistle and will hold it hostage! Bring $1.00 in a brown paper sack and hide it unde the oak tree by the barn or you will never see your whistle again! Bwaaahahahah (evil laugh)

Or

Call Susan at 301 695 1864 and she will send it to you.



Ian Bell said:
I'd like to add my thanks to George & Susan for hosting last weekend's event event. It was great to meet everyone in the flesh and to have so many opportunities to listen to others and play together. I learned a lot and that's always a good time. Did anyone notice an old tin whistle lying around in the barn? I think I may have left it there on Saturday night.

Lucas Bowman said:
I am sorry I was still asleep when everyone was talking about these topics in the morning, as well as saying good-byes. I was strategically positioned under a morning shade tree to allow for maximum sleep-in.

However, I was elated to meet new people as well as visit with old people. It was a super fun weekend and I am really very grateful it happened. I am also excited for next year's gathering being juxtaposed with the other goings-ons around the battelfield. I think it will be a great opportunity to raise awareness of the banjo's role, not only in the Civil War, but throughout American history too.

I hope everyone experienced safe travels on their trek home and enjoyed their weekend just as much as I did. I thank you all too for being the people you are and keeping this lovely music alive.
It was great to meet you as well, Ian!!! I believe Susan has your tin whistle. Contact her at the museum! Hope to see you in 2011!

Ian Bell said:
I'd like to add my thanks to George & Susan for hosting last weekend's event event. It was great to meet everyone in the flesh and to have so many opportunities to listen to others and play together. I learned a lot and that's always a good time. Did anyone notice an old tin whistle lying around in the barn? I think I may have left it there on Saturday night.

Lucas Bowman said:
I am sorry I was still asleep when everyone was talking about these topics in the morning, as well as saying good-byes. I was strategically positioned under a morning shade tree to allow for maximum sleep-in.

However, I was elated to meet new people as well as visit with old people. It was a super fun weekend and I am really very grateful it happened. I am also excited for next year's gathering being juxtaposed with the other goings-ons around the battelfield. I think it will be a great opportunity to raise awareness of the banjo's role, not only in the Civil War, but throughout American history too.

I hope everyone experienced safe travels on their trek home and enjoyed their weekend just as much as I did. I thank you all too for being the people you are and keeping this lovely music alive.
@ Ian -- we've already talked on this forum about your tin whistle, and about early accordeons, but I neglected to chat with you in person Saturday. Didn't know that was you, actually. The AEBG doesn't much go in for name tags; guess they didn't have those before 1865, or something.
I'll add my "huzzah" for the AEBG III, it was a fun and productive week(end.) If everyone hasn't already heard the story, Joel Hooks and I visited Frank Converse's grave in Elmira, Ny, and discovered that he has a very small, non-descript headstone bearing the initials "F. P. C." His name is entered into the burial registry as "Frank P. Converse." They got our boy's name wrong! Rather disappointing. But that's history, I guess. The Gathering itself was the usual mixture of jam sessions and interesting presentations. The concert was well attended, I thought, and everyone played great. Wasn't Cory's joke just hilarious? "General McClellan has estimated the number of people in attendance here and says there are 20,000..."

I came away with several new tunes in my head and in my fingers, and that's always my favorite part about these events. Looking forward to next year.
To Razyn:
You weren't packing a bass balalaika so I didn't figure it out until this morning when I read on the site that you were there. Were you the guy in the blue shirt and jeans?

razyn said:
@ Ian -- we've already talked on this forum about your tin whistle, and about early accordeons, but I neglected to chat with you in person Saturday. Didn't know that was you, actually. The AEBG doesn't much go in for name tags; guess they didn't have those before 1865, or something.
Any photos of Frank's headstone, Carl?

Waiting for the videos to be uploaded...
Ian Bell said:
To Razyn:
You weren't packing a bass balalaika so I didn't figure it out until this morning when I read on the site that you were there. Were you the guy in the blue shirt and jeans?

I had to go look in the clothes hamper. There's a blue shirt in there -- so apparently that was I. (I know the red shirt was yesterday -- that one's for doing yard work.)
All in good time. I'm still unloading the Mini. Drove straight through last night, Antietam to KC, stopping but twice, 14 1/2 hours.

Joel Hooks has the photos, he'll upload them shortly, I imagine. I have several videos but must have my wife's help to complete the process.

Rob MacKillop said:
Any photos of Frank's headstone, Carl?

Waiting for the videos to be uploaded...
Yet another thanks and round of applause, George. I had a ball.

Like Carl, I was jazzed up enough to drive straight thru and arrived home yesterday; took today off to recover and have yet to unload everything.

AEBG is getting to be like a family reunion...the good kind!

I'll have my report up soon as I take another nap...

===Marc
A little late on the bandwagon here but I also need to express sincerest gratitude and awe in retrospect of this weekend. What a great learning and social experience. I really also enjoy that our particular field of scholarship is inhabited by NICE people. College has shown me that this is not true of every field! Glad you liked the McClellan joke Carl! I suppose i had to pull at least one gag on the non-treasoners after ripping into the secesh like i did. Seriously though, a great bunch, an amazing location and a wonderful (or more accurately "Wunderful") event!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2019   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service