Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Uncategorized (1,593)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Converse Banjo Bridges Now Available.

Pardon my blatant marketing but I thought folks here might like to know that I am now selling period correct Frank Converse bridges on my w…

Started by Joel Hooks

3 Aug 21
Reply by Tom Berghan

Prolly a silly question about singing with your banjo

Pardon my ignorance...I have lately been trying to sing while playing. I have a fairly deep voice. I was always told it would be good for r…

Started by Chris Prieto

0 Aug 19

Finale tags

I think I've asked once previously about the somewhat comical end tag, "Shave and a haircut, two bits".  I don't recall getting an answer. …

Started by Al Smitley

1 Aug 18
Reply by Al Smitley

Gut 4th string

I thought it was a good idea but it is a pita. Impossible to tune since it's so fat even the slightest twist of the peg send it's sharp or…

Started by Chris Prieto

15 Aug 11
Reply by Chris Prieto

Helpful tip - side dot markers

Here is a non-invasive, not-permanent way to add attractive & professional looking side dots to any neck. They can Really help when (or…

Started by Tom Berghan

0 Aug 4

Early Banjo Etudes-Video Tutorials

All the early books claim to be "tutorials" but they lack any sense of logical progression. You get a lot of theory, and them the book leap…

Started by Timothy Twiss

2 Aug 1
Reply by Timothy Twiss

Baltimore Whig Convention Quick Step

I got this tune (1840), from the Levy website.  A decent tune but I'm confused. The 1839/40 Whig Convention was in Harrisburg, PA.  The Dem…

Started by Al Smitley

2 Jul 26
Reply by Al Smitley

100 comic songs : music and words : 1858

This is a nice little book that I just ran across and thought I would share. Unlike many song books of this period, this one contains music…

Started by Wes Merchant

6 Jul 24
Reply by Al Smitley

Harmonica Used by Minstrel Performers?

This is a follow up on Curtis' comment in the chat room. We are both interested in learning if harmonicas were used by minstrel performers.…

Started by Tom Taggart

56 Jul 23
Reply by Scott Danneker

How long do you take to learn a song you haven't heard before?

I have begun trying to rely less on familiarity and memory and trying to play songs I don't remember hearing by only reading the sheet musi…

Started by Chris Prieto

7 Jul 21
Reply by Joel Hooks

RSS

© 2017   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service