Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Uncategorized (1,642)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

I'm embarrassed to admit that I found a whole bunch of messages that I never knew I had. Therefore, I apologize to all those whom I never r…

Started by Al Smitley

3 Mar 1
Reply by Strumelia

Head tension and tuning

I just sort of noticed something. I'm always playing around with tension on the head of the banjo, seeking the Holy Grail of tones. I got o…

Started by Timothy Twiss

1 Feb 26
Reply by Strumelia

How many minstrel banjoists out there?

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone has a good estimate of the number of minstrel banjoists out there? 

Started by david caron

4 Feb 19
Reply by david caron

Terry Bell

I am often asked about the whereabouts of Terry Bell. I do not know.  Please do not ask me any more.  Good luck to those with outstanding t…

Started by Timothy Twiss

8 Feb 14
Reply by david caron

Hand me down my walking cane - looking for 19th century source

James A. Bland, Hand Me Down My Walking Cane, published 1880. I cannot find any period sheet music. Can you help me? Maybe one of the glee…

Started by Tom Berghan

0 Feb 13

LilyPond notation software

I’m not great at reading music. That is to say, I can stare at a staff and slowly puzzle all of the notes out and painstakingly map them to…

Started by A.N. Chase

19 Feb 13
Reply by Jean Louis Thiry

Banjo sightings database not available.

What happened to the banjo sightings database, It says that it's currently unavailable.

Started by Brice Alms

5 Feb 12
Reply by Paul Draper

String Slap

My banjo is strung with Nylgut Minstrels. When both open and noted, the wound 4th string is making a nasty, irritating slapping or popping…

Started by Andrew Jensen

7 Feb 7
Reply by John Masciale

Let me introduce myself...

Hello everybody, I'm new here. I've always loved the banjo. About 8 years ago now, I wandered into a music shop in Ottawa, Canada. In hind…

Started by david caron

25 Feb 3
Reply by Chris Prieto

Poisonous wallpaper from the mid 1800s

Fascinating reading... https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/shadows-from-the-walls-of-death-book

Started by Strumelia

0 Jan 30

RSS

© 2018   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service