Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Uncategorized (1,698)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

English banjo publication from 1835!

Well, that's what is claimed here   http://www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk/details.php?ref=57775   Anyone want to buy it to find out?    

Started by Rob MacKillop

14 Mar 25, 2010
Reply by Tim Twiss

Greg's SBC workshop

I just wanted to to say thanks to Greg publically for his fine job of teaching the intro to stroke style workshop at the Suwannee Banjo Cam…

Started by John Flynn

1 Mar 22, 2010
Reply by Carl Anderton

Another perspective on Frank Converse.

Myths and legends of the New York State Iroquois   By Harriet Maxwell Converse, Arthur Caswell Parker (1908) Page 16 ...In 1861 Harriet…

Started by Carl Anderton

2 Mar 19, 2010
Reply by Rob MacKillop

"Slave Banjo"

Did anybody see the email for Lark In The Morning? They had a "Slave Banjo" in the closeout section. It was a crude looking 4 string instru…

Started by Tim Twiss

0 Mar 12, 2010

Banjo alert...Boucher Tackhead (original?) on ebay

Hi gang, Experts wanted...Boucher Tackhead for sale on ebay. I can't recall seeing an unmodified Tackhead before. Bob? George? Greg? Anybo…

Started by Trapdoor2

11 Mar 11, 2010
Reply by Paul Certo

Expanding the Repertoire

As I mentioned when I posted the tune "J.Mullen's Schottisch", it was from the back of the Buckley Book with no particular favor towards th…

Started by Tim Twiss

9 Mar 3, 2010
Reply by Silas Tackitt

Early Blackface Minstrelsy In Britain

Now, this is an interesting site - from Canada, not Britain - which might also be of interest to Americans: http://link.library.utoronto.ca

Started by Rob MacKillop

6 Mar 3, 2010
Reply by Ian Bell

Banjo Pitch

This is kind of a follow-up to my earlier question about transposition. Does anyone out there have a notion of when the mean pitch of the b…

Started by Ian Bell

5 Feb 22, 2010
Reply by James Tyler

The Scottsboro Boys - A bit off-topic

Hi Folks, Thought I would mention a musical that's on in New York right now called THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS.  It's being presented as a "minstr…

Started by J. Adam Latham

0 Feb 22, 2010

Seeking insights on the dowel stick that would be plausible for the famous W.S. Mount banjo

You need to know that I am primarily a bowed strings luthier, so assume some ignorance.I am planning on building a replica of the minstrel…

Started by Don Rickert

2 Feb 22, 2010
Reply by Don Rickert

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service