Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Uncategorized (1,699)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

A remarkable performance.

Reminiscences Of A Banjo Player. Second letter. By A. Baur. _________ ...I heard a performance once on the banjo that would have been c…

Started by Carl Anderton

1 Jan 28, 2009
Reply by Dan'l

AEBG III...???

Any idea if we'll have an AEBG III? The website for the National Museum of Civil War Medicine has a listing for the "Antietam Anniversary W…

Started by Trapdoor2

1 Jan 27, 2009
Reply by Carl Anderton

Blackface, how to?

Many years ago my group and I did some performances in blackface. At the time we just used some simple black greasepaint and really only di…

Started by Dave Culgan

7 Jan 27, 2009
Reply by Dan'l

Sep. Winner's "Banjo: An Imitation of This Popular Instrument" (1858)

Tim and I have been enjoying going back-and-forth on a number of pieces. This, our latest, is an attempt to make some sense out of Septimus…

Started by Greg Adams

2 Jan 24, 2009
Reply by Greg Adams

Hooley's Opera House Songster

While researching historic children's toys for a workshop I am teaching I found this link to a pdf copy of Hooley's Opera House Songster, (…

Started by Elaine Masciale

2 Jan 20, 2009
Reply by Chris Ownby

Monarchs of Minstrelsy pdf link

Here is a link to Google Books for Monarchs of Minstrelsy http://books.google.com/books?id=rRc5AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=

Started by Elaine Masciale

0 Jan 19, 2009

Winner's New Primer

I am posting a few tunes from the overlooked Winner's New Primer of 1864. It is an excellent source of material, but not as commonly used a…

Started by Tim Twiss

5 Jan 17, 2009
Reply by Tim Twiss

VMI Quickstep (Virginia Military Institute) (1857)

I arranged this tune from piano sheet music for a Civil War conference I attended several years ago. It included a tour of VMI. I love the…

Started by Greg Adams

2 Jan 15, 2009
Reply by Tim Twiss

Dick Sliter's Reel (Rice 1858)

Tim and I have been corresponding on this tune. Does anyone else play it? If so, would you be willing to share a video of how you interpret…

Started by Greg Adams

12 Jan 13, 2009
Reply by Tim Twiss

Buy Sell Trade

Could (or should) we have a spot for instrument classifieds? I'm sure folks are always looking to buy or sell stuff.

Started by Tim Twiss

5 Jan 11, 2009
Reply by Tim Twiss

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service