Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I had the good fortune of meeting Mark Wingate on the internet this week. He was kind enough to share the Buckley Fiddle Book of 1855. This is interesting on many levels. First, it is another look at one of our greatest contributors to Stroke Style banjo playing...Mr. James Buckley. The dating of the book, and the cross referenced tunes gives us yet another view of how this early banjo repertoire was put together. I don't know how well these fit into the fiddle stylings of the day, but the link to the banjo, as Buckley showed us time and again, is unmistakable. Tunes that share the same music with a different title in Buckley's New Banjo Method of 1860-

Bang Up Jig (fiddle 1855) and Dick Sliter's Reel (1860)
Black Bird Jig (fiddle 1855) and Jake Bacchus' Jig (1860)
Unkown Jig (fiddle 1855) and Fisher's Jig (1860)
Billy Day (fiddle 1855) and The Newton Jig (1860)
Even these are cross referenced in Ryan's Mammoth with other titles...and no variation in the music.

Now, notice the contibution of one Tom Briggs in this book. Alabama Jig could very well have fit into the Rice Book, with lots of thumb playing, and those triplet figures that include an open string pull instead of a finger glide. Banjo tunes...or fiddle tunes??? Or doesn't it really matter all in all? The Buckley material always lacked fingerings and direction. This is the source of his some of his 1860 book. Did he just have a huge stockpile of music, and dispensed it as he saw fit?
Let's play some of these. I would suggest "Alabama Jig" and "Banjo Jig" by Briggs.

Views: 132

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tim, I'm really intrigued by this book. Is there a way we can get a copy? Both of the tunes you are suggesting look good.
Mark, what a wonderful find! Thanks for sharing with Tim and the rest of us. As we look at the overlap between the banjo tutors and other, related sources (violin, accordion, piano music, fife and drum books, etc.), I am increasingly convinced of the early banjo's flexibility and versatility as a musical instrument.
So, is "Alabama Jig" and "Banjo Jig" officially our Medley of the Week for next week?
So, is "Alabama Jig" and "Banjo Jig" officially our Medley of the Week for next week?

Well, let's look the stuff over today and decide by tonight. We could do just one of them....or we could try another tune altogether..
Let me know what you think.

"Banjo Jig" by Briggs (above "Titus") will not lay very well. I can't imagaine a 16th note phrase that can get us up to an F# and be smooth at a decent tempo. Everything else lays well.

"Alabama Jig" is playable as is, but sure sounds quirky. I'm going to keep trying this one and see if I can get comfortable with that harmony.

The other "Banjo Jig" p 32 (below "Broadway") is a possibility. Notice the motif of "Tabacco Jake Jig" in there.

"Mair's Jig" is interesting.

Anybody else being drawn to a particular tune?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service