Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I'm fairly new to the board and have searched thru the forums looking for some answers, but came up a little short.  Sorry if I'm repeating any topics that have already been covered.

I am in the early stages of building a Minstrel-style banjo; not entirely traditional, but I'm looking to achieve sound and playability over aestetics. If this goes well, then I will strive for traditional next time.

I built a crude rim approximately 13" diameter, and am now working on the neck layout.  I plan on using Aquila Minstrel Strings, and am also planning on a 26" scale.  The fingerboard will be fretless., and I will be tacking a skin head to the rim.

I looked at the Banjo Sightings Database for some dimensions, but need some clarifications....

Nut width: I see variations from 1-3/8" to 1.5"; I'm leaning towards 1.5". Is this too wide?

String Spacing:  Is there any standard for string spacing at the nut and at the bridge?  I have a Gold Tone Bob Carlin model to compare, but I'm wondering if the Nylon String Minstrels need to have a little wider spacing than the typical.  Of course, this affects the nut width.

Bridge Placement:  I see bridges placed directly in the Center and off center.  Any advantage to one over the other?  This will affect my overall neck measurements with a given scale length.

Bridge Height: Again there are variations between 1/2" to 3/4".  Any advatage of one over the other given a 26" scale?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

Views: 851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David,

I built my first neck from scratch as well.  I found 1.5" to be too wide, I cut it down to 1 3/8.  You do not want the bridge to be dead center,  the playing action will be mushy and the sound dull.  I could go in to the structural dynamics of the situation but off center is better.  I like a wider spacing, but that is a matter of preference.  Bridge height is somewhat an issue of the instrument.  On one banjo it was originally quite high, but when I rebuilt the neck and repositioned it, all of a sudden I needed to go with a lower bridge height.

Don't get too hung up on a precise scale length.  It is fretless, after all. Put the bridge where it sounds best to you.  I play my Bell Boucher at about 28" to 28.5" (sometimes 29" depending on the weather).  Sometimes I'll slide the bridge forward far enough to raise the pitch a half tone or more to make some of the low notes more reachable when I'm singing. Regardless, have fun with it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service