Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Hi all,
some of us in the ACW community here in Gettysburg were talking recently about planning a banjo/ period music get together, either in the coming months (got to get through those long stretches of event-less winter somehow) or this summer. Either way, I would have little trouble in securing a nice location (most likely on the Gettysburg College campus) if the interest is there. The event would be fairly low-key, probably just some extended jam time and maybe a meal (although if the interest is present for show-and-tell or new presentations these would be welcome as well). All banjoists, bones-players, concertina, guitar, jawbone players etc. etc. would be welcome. Please reply if this sounds like something you'd like to join.

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Corey, it's a great idea. Unfortunately, there is a lot of distance involved. For you guys out east this could be a great idea.

I'd like to add a possibility to this. In the next few years there are going to be some large national reenactments. It would also be great to schedule some gathering time at one of these.
That does sound great John, with all the 150's coming up we should certainly look into making musical contingents present. Hopefully we easterners can get something together until the events really get rolling!

John Masciale said:
Corey, it's a great idea. Unfortunately, there is a lot of distance involved. For you guys out east this could be a great idea.

I'd like to add a possibility to this. In the next few years there are going to be some large national reenactments. It would also be great to schedule some gathering time at one of these.
Hey Cory,

I'd be down for whatever. I'm living just outside of Taneytown now (very close to Gettysburg) and fairly available to possibly help organize or whatever with what you are planning.

-Lucas
I'd definitely be interested, although I couldn't commit outright due to distance and somehow finding myself generally busy all the time.
Hey Corery:

It's a great idea for anyone who can make it. If it works around my schedule with the Victorian Dance Ensemble, I'd be very interested.

JTrace
I was surfing through the older forum threads (it's a slow day at work today) and found this one. Is this idea still on the table? I'm definitely interested.

I didn't see this at the time, either.  Wonder if Greg and Dr. Bob did, they are up that way.  I'm about two hours south, can do a day trip to Gettysburg & back if it's worthwhile.

Lucas, are you still at Taneytown?  There was a 19th century family of chairmakers there, Slagenhaupt (variously spelled).  I have a couple.  There's a good antique/junk dealer on 194 south of town, about 1/2 mile past the Evapco plant (but on the right).  He sometimes has old instruments, cheap.  And his wife had several Slagenhaupt chairs -- at sky-high prices.

After the forthcoming AEBG, I'd be happy to get together with people within the Gettysburg-DC corridor. Right now I'm working on my last semester of grad school and will hope to make time for meaningful early banjo interaction with interested and interesting people!

This is a great idea, I wopuld be happy help if I can .

I would be happy to be part of a Gettysburg event, although not until we are well done with this *#!&* winter weather, and it probably would be a good idea to wait until Greg is available.  And only on the condition that Cory makes sure that the venue for such an event is wheelchair accessible.

Banjovially, Bob

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. I'm going to be studying at the University of Heidelberg for the next 6 months but perhaps we could get something together for late Summer/Early autumn to bookend the summer with the AEBG. As per accessability, I'm thinking we should be able to get Glatfelter Lodge or depending on turnout, a room in the Student Union, both of which are wheelchair accessable. Please continue to post interest and ideas and I'll be glad to work on this once my Teutonic travels are complete.

best,

Cory

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service