Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

John Cohen's Discussions (268)

Discussions Replied To (221) Replies Latest Activity

"Tim, the difficult music I'm referring to is the classic banjo repertoire from the 1…"

John Cohen replied Apr 2, 2015 to Finger Style ( Guitar Style ) and Hybrid Playing

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"Strumelia, those large old minstrel banjos originally had very high action due to th…"

John Cohen replied Apr 2, 2015 to Finger Style ( Guitar Style ) and Hybrid Playing

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"I didn't have a specific point in mind- I was just writing down my observations.  I…"

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"I've seen it used as inlay a few times before, but only a few.  "

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"I mentioned Buckley's 1860 recommendation and advertisement of frets in my post abov…"

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"Yes, but like his tutor and the fretted Ashborn Buckley seems to have been an anomal…"

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"The surviving early minstrel banjos do not suggest that raised frets were anything c…"

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"I agree about the emergence of the style in those earlier works.  As for frets, ther…"

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"I wasn't aware you meant the REALLY early stuff.  The thread just seemed to be about…"

85 Apr 5, 2015
Reply by Dan'l

"Did you guys have to get a license to perform in the Quarter?"

John Cohen replied Apr 2, 2015 to Busking and Play-for-Pay - Our Experience; What about yours?

5 Apr 7, 2015
Reply by Charles Edward Lee

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service