Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Anybody played this music using notation? Quite difficult due to the format of the book. I put it into good scores when I was recording the book. Anyone interested in taking a peek at it?

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll share a few copies for proofing purposes.

HI Tim, 

I've consolidated a bunch of the Yellow Converse tunes from the book. Basically it is just a cut and paste from the online pdf book that i got rid of all the text and kept the notation. I have most of the songs in this format.  If anyone is interested I can post some.

I'll  attach a sample.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately

Attachments:

Yea. That's the way to read them. Rice pulls in there.

"Rice" pulls ????????????

Frank Converse wrote the Little Yellow Book, Those are "Converse" pulls.  :>)    (we need some smiley's)

All kidding aside, the Yellow book is a great book for both beginning banjo players, and beginning notation readers. While the tunes are fairly simple, they are classic in capturing the "minstrel" banjo feel.

I think one of the reasons it is not used more is because of the way it is written.  It can be frustrating to try and work from the original book because the notation is so chopped up with the explanatory text.  I think that Converse himself realized this after he published it because his later books abandoned this format.

Yes. It is the most consistent book from cover to cover. What was the precedent for doing such a thing? Were there instructional manuals of other sorts that followed this format? I could see it for cooking or housebuilding or something, but not music.

P.S.    One more tune to look at.

Attachments:

Hmmmm..........'bout time that Buckley 1868 got tabbed.

Hi Tim, the fun thing about the interwebs these days is that you can find answers to just about any questions.

The two books were for different price points.  One is "elementary" while the other "complete."

Converse used that format again in the 1871(mostly) and also published "The Complete Banjoist" the same year.

The Buckley book of 1868 was advertised as a collection of banjo solos, not an instruction book.

This ad is from the Clipper of May, 1868...

Thanks Joel. So, is that 2 versions of the Yellow Book?

I think that Buckley 1868 is so strong. I wonder why Ayers never kept going to reissue that one. It seem so inclusive of that body of work.

The "yellow" is the cheap one. The "green" is $1 and "complete."
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 68
Do you mean the "legitimate SOLO banjos?" This ad shows up a lot, this is third gen microfilm and gets blurry.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service