Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I nominate Mr. Chris Prieto to choose this week’s TOTW

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've written to the Levy site two or three times, pleading with them to fix their search engine so that their great collection can meet it's potential!

There is some good background on Sally Come Up at http://parlorsongs.com/issues/2008-12/thismonth/feature.php (you'll have to scroll.)

As mentioned in our first song, 1839 marked the first performance of a Minstrel show. By 1862 Minstrelsy was a huge part of the entertainment world and many groups had been organized. Buckley's Serenaders was an American black face minstrel troupe, headed by James Buckley. They were an influential troupe in the United States; while they toured England from 1846 to 1848, their absence allowed Edwin Christy's troupe to gain popularity and influence the development of the minstrel genre. Back in the States, the Buckleys became one of the two most popular companies from the mid-1850s to the 1860s (the other being the Christy and Wood Minstrels). (from Wikipedia). Dave Reed, the rather sloppy gent depicted on the cover was one of the most adored minstrel singers and he performed for Buckley as well as Christy. His primary character was "Bones" which he first introduced with Christy's. An article in the New York Times on the occasion of his death in 1912 stated; "Dave Reed as the "bones" of Bryant's Minstrels was an idol of us youngsters of those days. Dave could thrill our youthful souls and when on invitation from that soberly centered personage, the "interlocutor," he would proceed to relate his experiences during a visit to relatives in the country, our satisfaction was complete." Reed's son, Dave Reed Jr. became a songwriter of note during the early 20th century.

This song is one that has often been claimed by others without credit to the original songwriters. Most editions in fact never mention them as is the case with this version. It first appeared around 1859. It was very popular and over time, evolved into other forms. I must warn you now, the lyrics of this song are quite offensive in today's environment and we present them unedited as an historic document. Unfortunately, Minstrel shows of that era were offensive although at the time it was seen as all in good fun. The lyrics were intended to be amusing and they were seen to be that at the time however few would find them amusing today. The song arrangement Buckley has passed down to us is rather simple and uncomplicated. The verse is a bit catchy but the chorus, "Sally come up" is the most memorable melodic theme of the piece. The chorus melody has survived but in different lyrical form. The song made for a handy foundation for parody and many were written over the ensuing decades.

Thanks Andy for that link

Wow!! Great info!!...working through Carlin's book, just when I thought I had a thorough  understanding of the touring scene of the time, I get something new. Fantastic!!

Well... this was fun!  So who’s up for the week of 18 nov. And what’ll it be?

There's plenty I don't know, so I'm sure i can find something...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2019   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service