Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I just decided.

Because October is the month of Halloween and pumpkins and squash and old hollow/hallow things, even the O in October is round like a gourd...so...

I declare October to be Gourd Banjer Month !

Let's use this thread to share our enthusiasm for our gourd banjos...

Post your gourdelicious videos, pictures, your love/hate gourd relationship stories, and random factoids about your gourd banjo here!

Anything goes...bring it on!    :D

Views: 1868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So....I must have read your mind??

Maybe so Tim.  And I was also asking you about your gourd banjo recently.   :D

"Hear Hear!" I'm going to the Hallmark store to demand greeting cards!

Here's my small gourd banjo, after Brian and I drilled a sound hole into it

It's definitely not a 'period' banjer, since it has a full grey formica overlay on the fretboard and peghead.

I bought it from the wife of our late friend Ray Alden, after he passed away.  He had gotten it directly from Jeff Menzies, who made it a few years before.

The gourd is only 8" across at its widest, and the freely-vibrating part of the head is 5" wide.  Because it's such a small gourd, it's not very loud. That improved noticeably after we drilled a soundhole (it had none).  I sought advice from Jeff before we attempted doing this (it's a bit scary!), and received his encouragement.  It still lacks the deep resonance of my larger gourd banjo, however.  Hmm, duh...you just can't make a small gourd sound like a large gourd.  I think of it as a good travel gourd, and to play when not wanting to disturb others.  I guess I mostly like that Ray owned it.   :)

Here is it's official Menzies gallery page, from 2005, which makes it 9 yrs old now:

http://jeffreymenzies.com/instruments/instruments-gourd-banjo-67/

Amazing how he still produced something of aesthetic appeal even with the formica. I wonder what Jeff was thinking not putting a sound hole of some sort in it?

Mark, I had asked him that, and he said he didn't always put sound holes in his earliest banjos, but began to add them as standard later on.  This banjo was #67 from 2005.

Wes did you make that?  Can you actually play it?

My old buddy Slim made that. I'm not sure where he got the design, he sometimes makes a version of these with school kids. You can actually play on it a bit, but mostly just little strummy things.

Here's my contribution to gourd appreciation month: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=254867087970262

I tried to make a new video today with my gourd banjer, but after screwing up the 12th take in a row, I gave up for the day.

Of course as soon as I put the camera away i could play the tune just fine again.   lolol...

Greg, I can't seem to see the video- maybe because I'm not a member of FB..?  It just shows black for me.  :(

Here's a great page on various gourds, their photos and uses, and their seeds you can buy:

https://www.seedman.com/Gourds.htm

I think if I were to pursue a gourd banjo again, I'd chose a four-string like Mark often plays.  After all, isn't that closer to what they were like prior to the introduction of the rim banjos?  That's not a statement, that's a question.  Was there an era when 5-string gourd banjos were made and used or is that a current inclination of ours to mix two traditions together the result of which never really existed?  Can someone offer their insights?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service