Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Hi all.As you can see,I'm the fresh fish to this site.I am also new to playing stroke style banjo.(I've been playing for only a year)I have a gourd banjo I bought and a minstrel banjo that I built,although it is not quite "period correct".The hooks and nuts and tension hoop are not exactly correct but it does have an animal skin head,nylgut strings and no frets.I'm trying to buy a good tackhead in the next few months.I love these banjos,the music and the time period(I'm a re-enacter).Tim Twiss,Carl Anderton and Greg Adams,you guys are the best! I love to hear you play!

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome aboard Tom. I hope this site helps you with information and connections with other players. I know that when I started, there were no players around where I live, so the internet was (and is) a way to reach out to musicians and help to figure out this wonderful and crazy music.
Glad you joined up, Tom. What kind of tackhead are you looking for?
Hi Carl.I'm not really looking for any certain kind,just one that looks and sounds good.The banjo factory has them for $380 and they sell for $200-$400 at banjo buyer.com.Why do you ask?Do you have one for sell?
Hey Tom...I give a personal plug for Jay Moschella and his tackheads.
Well,I just posted my first two tunes,Rosin the Bow and Cole Black Rose.As you can tell,I'm not the best banjo player,but I do have fun learning! Tim,I liked the way you played Cole Black Rose.I hope you don't mind me playing your version and adding my own twist to it! I hope you all like these!
Welcome aboard Tom. It is great to have some one else posting recordings. I hope we hear more from you.
Sounding good Tom. Keep them rolling. Do you play by notation, tab, or ear? (or some combination)

Tom Ward said:
Well,I just posted my first two tunes,Rosin the Bow and Cole Black Rose.As you can tell,I'm not the best banjo player,but I do have fun learning! Tim,I liked the way you played Cole Black Rose.I hope you don't mind me playing your version and adding my own twist to it! I hope you all like these!
Tim,I play mostly by ear.I can read music,but it would be hard for me to apply the notes on the scale to what the strings are(if that makes sense )I would probably do better with tab if I had to look at sheet music.
You should do it. (read notation). It's so worth it.
Tab will bridge you into it as you figure it out.

Tom Ward said:
Tim,I play mostly by ear.I can read music,but it would be hard for me to apply the notes on the scale to what the strings are(if that makes sense )I would probably do better with tab if I had to look at sheet music.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service