Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Hi all,

In my "Pain Threshold" thread, along with all the other good advice I received, Tim Twiss mentioned having someone watch my angles.  As it turns out, finding a banjo player near by has proven difficult.  My best bet was a co-worker who hasn't touched his banjo in 30 years, and he only played a very little bluegrass, and not fretless.

Do you suppose it would be OK to post a short clip here, to get some pointers and advice?  I see a lot of great videos here, and this wouldn't be one of them ("The Massacre of Juba"), but I think this would be the best place to go for a critique.

Thanks,

Tony

(I have been managing to steal about 15 minutes or so a night to practice, not great, but I'm working on that, too.)

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tony,

You have a couple of choices here.  If you're not afraid of communal critique then post away.  I would suggest posting a link to videos on YouTube.  That way if you ever want to you can delete the links to these things.  The other alternative is to private email a number of friends on the forum and have them privately critique you.

Post away man.  you are where you are,,, there is NOTHING wrong with that.  the only way to fail is to stop trying.

when I made my first vid, I just knew the critique would be painful,, but as most things it wasn't .

Theres people here who talk & talk & talk,and some talk big,,,, but they have never posted a vid. Post up man, I got your back

Steve

Thanks, John!  I'm not all that much of a videographer (ning doesn't think that's even a word), but I've had some little success with Youtube, so that sounds like a good approach. I'll try to get something put together shortly!

Much appreciated!

Tony

John Masciale said:

Tony,

You have a couple of choices here.  If you're not afraid of communal critique then post away.  I would suggest posting a link to videos on YouTube.  That way if you ever want to you can delete the links to these things.  The other alternative is to private email a number of friends on the forum and have them privately critique you.

Thanks, Steve!  Will do!

Tony

Jump on in friend!  As John pointed out, you can alwasy go back and delete it, but it is kinda fun to look back as you get better.  "Juba" has suffered under many a new hand on new banjos, including mine! :) 

We won't bite!   I'm still sort of in the 'Jubassic Period'  myself....  ;D

Videos are a great way to get input and helpful suggestions...and yes we can all DELETE our more 'embarrassing' videos as we slowly improve...yay!   Here's to feeling comfortable enough here on MinstrelBanjo to show our less-than-best side as we help each other!

Hello, Matthew!  I've got a ways to go before I can look back much, but it does sound like fun!  Thanks!

Tony

Matthew Mickletz said:

Jump on in friend!  As John pointed out, you can alwasy go back and delete it, but it is kinda fun to look back as you get better.  "Juba" has suffered under many a new hand on new banjos, including mine! :) 

Good to know, Strumelia!  (I use my delete key all the time! )

"Jubassic Period", heheheh, that is good!

Strumelia said:

We won't bite!   I'm still sort of in the 'Jubassic Period'  myself....  ;D

Videos are a great way to get input and helpful suggestions...and yes we can all DELETE our more 'embarrassing' videos as we slowly improve...yay!   Here's to feeling comfortable enough here on MinstrelBanjo to show our less-than-best side as we help each other!

Anthony G Spangler said:

"Jubassic Period", heheheh, that is good!

There are worse places to be.   :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service