Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Hello all, my two worlds (Minstrel Banjo and Civil War Brass band) collide once again. Just wanted to pass along that we (105th PA Wildcat Regiment Band) are going to be playing at Antietam Battlefield and Harper's Ferry National Park this weekend (and as it turns out at Antietam again the weekend of the AEBG). One of the tunes we are going to play is a Thomas Coates piece titled Buckley's (Buckley's Minstrels) from the 1850s Manchester (NH) Cornet Band Books Set 1 #79. Interesting to see some popular minstrel tunes of the day arranged for brass band.

Another piece we hope to play this summer is called Congo (a Downing Piece). We think Congo was a character that was used in a minstrel troupe that Emmet played with …..Possibly Bryant’s - does that sound right to you more learned folks?

mike p

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Band was able to play Buckley's and Old KY Ky minstrel pieces this weekend at Antietam and Harper's Ferry, thanks to Rowan at the Harper's Ferry Workshop last fall, I was finally able to make my debut on the bones during Buckley's

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service