Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Does anyone have audio recordings or know where to get them for "Learning Minstrel Banjo" by Bob Flesher?  The book mentions a CD coming with it but I didn't get one.  It would be helpful to know what the songs and some of the exercises sound like.

Thanks,

Daniel

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would ask Bob himself. His email is: FleshrBnjo@aol.com ...I took a couple banjo lessons with him. He's a nice guy. If your book didn't have a CD with it I'm sure he'd be happy to get you one. I would think, anyway.
I have a copy somewhere.  As I recall, the CD was a separate purchase from the book.
 So theres a book w/ cd of the tunes????  I want it, where do you get it???/  Is the book tab or dots??

The book in question is The Minstrel Banjo Stroke Style #501CD.  It is in tabs.

http://www.drhorsehair.com/bookbag.html

It is a good learning resource.  I prefer Weidlich's book, but there is not a CD with it.  However, you will find recordings of virtually everything in there on this forum and on the Banjo Clubhouse (Thanks Tim!)  Briggs Instructor and (I think) Rice's is available in tablature as well.

I don't see any reason you can't get the CD from him. I got one with my book. We must persuade him to come on board here....do you hear us Bob???

Actually, I have not gotten around to embedding everything in the Clubhouse (but I intend to) and this site is incomplete. Everything IS however on my youtube site

http://www.youtube.com/user/giggletoot

Search by title for anything in Briggs, Rice, Converse (Yellow and Green), Buckley 1860 and 1868, Converse 1872, and much of the Analyitcal, as well as other misc.  Every instrumental piece in the main tutors has been done and is in there.  

I have this book too. I'm looking for audio of his other book titled "learning minstrel banjo". I think I'll just look at the clubhouse and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

Daniel

John Masciale said:

The book in question is The Minstrel Banjo Stroke Style #501CD.  It is in tabs.

http://www.drhorsehair.com/bookbag.html

It is a good learning resource.  I prefer Weidlich's book, but there is not a CD with it.  However, you will find recordings of virtually everything in there on this forum and on the Banjo Clubhouse (Thanks Tim!)  Briggs Instructor and (I think) Rice's is available in tablature as well.

Oh yea, that book. I remember getting that book as a beginner. It made no sense to me at all. The other one did.
It's not making sense to me either. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I'll stick with the other books and the clubhouse.

Thanks,

Daniel

Tim Twiss said:
Oh yea, that book. I remember getting that book as a beginner. It made no sense to me at all. The other one did.
Looking back on that book (it has been a long time) I would say that it would be well served with an audio disc. It is has a very good explanation of strikes and the right hand. That concept, however, was so elusive to me without seeing it. It has a great selection of songs, but I recall not understanding where the "tune" was in those relative to the lyrics. That was my experience with it. I ditched it when the other one came, and it became my "first" book instead of that one.
Adding to that, I'd like to say that because those tunes were his own arrangements of the songs, it needed an audio or video accompaniment. I recall having most success with some of the easier instrumental tunes from the tutors, as found in his second book. To understand the melodies of songs, I have found the Lester Levy Collection to be a great help. I always look at these for the "pure" melody in sheet music form, and build upon that for either creating my own arrangement, or understanding another.  
 Ok then ,  I ll stick with the Tim Twiss School of Higher Banjo Learning.
lol...don't get high

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service