Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

I had a vision...performance art. This tune, Van Bramer's Jig-get a lot of people to play it, but build it a little at a time. Imagaine 20 people playing it, including percussion. Start with a single player and add one or 2 each round. Simply build the intensity each time around. It's such a cool and hypnotic melody, with a crazy syncopated groove.

Anyway, I know it won't happen, but that was what  I saw when I was just playing it.

I hope this forum discussion is a free associating display of idea....as we wind into the June gathering.

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We can give it a shot. I've been playing it with friends who play fiddle, jawbone, and bones. It has a lot of dynamic possibilities.

okay...let's throw a tab up. There are already videos posted.

Also, this is one where the chord structure lends itself to some bluesy improvisation. I very seldom improvise with this stuff, but I find myself making lines and riffs within the structure of the changes.

Sounds interesting...so .... do it .   Record it and post it please, I for one would like to hear it.

I re-featured some old videos. There are 3 takes on it....

Hey Paul, I took my gourd back down to "D"....I like it. Let's make sure we hook up for some gourd time. What tunes to you like?

Tim -- yeah, I like mine in D also.  I'd be honored to gourd with you.  What tunes do I like?  hmmm... pretty much all of them, but especially the ones I can play!

Okay, we'll just stay in D then. Let's try 'em all. What the heck. We'll strike gold on something....perhaps play it in the concert.

So, I am making a pretty long drive to get to this thing. I plan on getting there in time to enjoy stuff on Friday. This means a long ass haul on Thursday. Throwing down in the barn is awesome...I plan to do that Fri and Sat night. I wouldn't miss a second of those fine after hours jams and spirits. It's nice to start fresh however.....any other travellers coming in Thursday night that might want to share a room in Hagerstown?

Tim I will be over here In Santa Barbara..I will be having my own EABG.. featuring myself. I like Carl's idea about closing with Night Time Lament. I also am becoming hooked on Van Bramer's Jig. I will be there is spirit. anticipating next year. Safe travels. 

One possibility- join me and John Allin at Cory Rosenberg in Gettysburg Thursday night.  G-Burg is about 70 miles from the Pry House.  

Tim Twiss said:

So, I am making a pretty long drive to get to this thing. I plan on getting there in time to enjoy stuff on Friday. This means a long ass haul on Thursday. Throwing down in the barn is awesome...I plan to do that Fri and Sat night. I wouldn't miss a second of those fine after hours jams and spirits. It's nice to start fresh however.....any other travellers coming in Thursday night that might want to share a room in Hagerstown?

Hey Carl, when you guys are out there do you stay in hotels or camp? Camping at Antietam would be awesome!

We throw bed rolls down in the Pry House barn.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service