Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Ever seen those Union Army reunion books....lyrics to their favorite songs? Perhaps we could have one...something cool to use there and take home. It could include popular verses to tunes most of us know...the common ones we all sing together. Dan Tucker, Camptown, Old Jaw Bone, Jonny Boker, Keemo Kimo, Rose of Alabama etc.

We can get more people to join in...put a few chord symbols on...everybody could join in.

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan'l, I hope this means you're planning on joining us this year, for:

"We Cross The Prairie As Of Old" to "Maryland, My Maryland" where we'll "Ring Ring The Banjo" "Till The Dawns Early Light."  And we might possibly have a "Little More Cider."

Dan'l said:

As an aside, we think we know what songs were popular, yet the premier popular songsmith at the time himself compiled a "rap" he deemed would be wholly recognizeable in 1863, at least in the North. He should know, but who today recognizes but half of these?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Song of All Songs (John Poole and Foster, 1863)

As you've walked through the town on a fine summer's day, The subject I've got, you have seen, I dare say; Upon fences and railings, where ever you go, You'll see the penny ballads sticking up, in a row; Titles to read you may stand for a while, And some are so odd, they will cause you to smile; I noted them down as I read them along, And I've put them together to make up my song.

cho: Old songs! New songs! Ev'ry kind of song,

I noted them down as I read them along.

There was "Abraham's Daughter" "Going Out Upon A Spree," With "Old Uncle Snow" "In The Cottage By The Sea;" "If Your Foot Is Pretty, Show It" "At Lanigan's Ball;" And "Why Did She Leave Him" "On The Raging Canawl?" There was "Bonnie Annie" with "A Jockey Hat And Feather;" "I Don't Think Much Of You" "We Were Boys And Girls Together." "Do They Think Of Me At Home?" "I'll Be Free And Easy Still;" "Give Us Now A Good Commander" with "The Sword Of Bunker Hill."

"When This Cruel War Is Over." "No Irish Need Apply," "For, Every Thing Is Lovely," and "The Goose Hangs High;" "The Young Gal From New Jersey," "Oh Wilt Thou Be My Bride?" And "Oft In The Stilly Night" "We'll All Take A Ride." "Let Me Kiss Him For His Mother," "He's A Gay Young Gambolier;" "I'm Going To Fight Mit Sigel" and "De Bully Lager-bier." "Hunkey Boy Is Yankee Doodle" "When The Cannons Loudly Roar," "We Are Coming, Father Abraham, Six Hundred Thousand More!"

"In The Days When I Was Hard Up" With "My Mary Ann," "My Johnny Was A Shoemaker," Or "Any Other Man!" "The Captain With His Whiskers" And"Annie Of The Vale," Along With "Old Bob Ridley" "A Riding On A Rail!" "Rock Me To Sleep, Mother," "Going Round The Horn;" "I'm Not Myself At All," "I'm A Bachelor Forlorn." "Mother, Is The Battle Over?" "What Are The Men About? "How Are You, Horace Greeley," "Does Your Mother Know You're Out?"

"We Won't Go Home Till Morning," With "The Bold Privateer," "Annie Lisle" And "Zouave Johnny" "Riding In A Railroad Kerr;" "We Are Coming, Sister Mary," With "The Folks That Put On Airs." "We Are Marching Along" With "The Four-and-thirty Stars;" "On The Other Side Of Jordan" "Don't Fly Your Kite Too High!" "Jenny's Coming O'er The Green," To "Root Hog Or Die!" "Our Union's Starry Banner," "The Flag Of Washington," Shall float victorious o'er the land from Maine to Oregon!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service