Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Well if we are serious about EBG3, then I would opt for first trying to see if Antietem is a possibility. I have to admit that the idea of Louisville is very appealing, Mark you are right, for most members of this forum it is centrally located.

Before we discuss locations we should talk dates. Does anybody have a preference? Next Spring? Summer? Fall?

Next, does anybody have a way of contacting George to see if he is interested in hosting again? If not, does anybody have connections in Louisville? We could try contacting the Frazier History Museum there, they might be interested in what we are doing. There would probably be a cost involved...

Next, we will need to pull together an agenda. Who is interested in making a presentation? What would people really like to see/hear?

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's face it, the magic of EBG I and II was in large part due to our esteemed friend George Wunderlich and his broad knowledge and connections in the early banjo community. Can this be duplicated without him? Does we have to duplicate it?

I would certainly like to see the heavy-hitters in technique and history present--Greg Adams and Bob Winans come immediatly to mind, plus the luthier pro's like James Hartel.

New faces might include Clarke Buehling, Jay Mochella, Jeff Menzies, and how about Bob Carlin? He was scheduled for the cancelled EBG. Alas.

It's going to be a big job, and time is a passin'.
Carl,

I completely agree, George would really be missed. Let's try to get a hold of him to see if he wants to sponsor the event. He doesn't necessarily have to organize it all if he doesn't have time. We can all help. I've sent George an email. Hopefully everything is OK with him and his family, and we will hear from him.

If however George does not have time for this, we should not hesitate to go ahead and plan something. It is not too early to get some feedback from other forum members as to what they would like to see/hear.
If there is a serious desire to keep the EBG experience rooted in Antietam, with or without George, there's a college right across the river with an active CW study program:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Tyler_Moore_Center_for_the_Stud...

Some of us opted for dining in Shepherdstown at AEBG1 and 2, anyhow -- having enjoyed the blessings of the Red Rooster (do I have that right?) on earlier occasions.

I've previously suggested the Center for Popular Music at MTSU in Murfreesboro, TN. This may sound like Podunk USA, but it's only about 20 miles from the Nashville airport, which is more than adequate. It's also the home town of the Stones River Battlefield. (Where my ole gr-grandpappy got part of his jaw shot off by some Yankee.) The campus and the battlefield are several miles apart, though. Uncle Dave Macon is something of a local celebrity, still.

http://popmusic.mtsu.edu/

Maybe also the John Jacob Niles Center for American Music at the U of Ky. (That's in Lexington; there's an airport, but it's not too big. You fly over some nice horses on the way down.) I don't know if there is any Civil War interest there, or interesting places to sleep in tents and mud. The dulcimers in the foyer belonged to old JJ Niles; but they are also well informed about the banjo, shape note singing, and other musical expressions of the larger society.

http://www.uky.edu/FineArts/Music/Niles/

I myself kind of like meetings in buildings with heat or air conditioning, as needed. But then I'm old and cranky.
YES the Antietam Location is available. It would be best in August or very early September. If you all want I can get exact open dates.

Sorry I have been away so long. 2009 was one hell of a year for me and the family. I am happy to host again if I can get some logistical help from the group.
George! You've returned! As you can see, enthusiasm is still high for the Event you created! I think you can find people ready to help out with preparation. Just tell us what you need, and we'll fall in line.

The first weekend of August is no good for me, I'll be in NY for a family reunion. Just thought I'd add that in.

George Wunderlich said:
YES the Antietam Location is available. It would be best in August or very early September. If you all want I can get exact open dates.

Sorry I have been away so long. 2009 was one hell of a year for me and the family. I am happy to host again if I can get some logistical help from the group.
Ah, great news. Count me in...I'll attend and pitch in with whatever.
August/Sept back in "the barn" sounds awesome, George. Count me in, I'll do whatever I can to help out!

===Marc
I should be floating around the Sharpsburg area possibly toward summer. When you need manual labor or other help, give me a shout, I'll be close ;D
Please what is this event? Is it something that I would be welcome?
Mary, the Antietam Early Banjo Gathering is an event created by George Wunderlich. The first was in 2006, the second in 2007. It did not take place, for various reasons, in 2008 or 09. Hopefully, 2010 will bring us "AEBG3."

The event explores everything we currently know about the banjo in the nineteenth-century. Talks are given by luminaries such as Bob Winans and Greg Adams on the "minstrel" or stroke-style in vogue at the time, and the important players of the day such as Dan Emmett (and the Dan Emmett Collection of sheet music). Banjo collector Peter Szego has shown us his instruments, Pete Ross has talked about gourd banjos, George of course talks early banjo construction and repair, and we play early banjo music and responsibly consume adult beverages into the wee hours. Oh, and there has been a minstrel-style contest and concert on Saturday evening. Whether or not that is still going to happen is likely TBD.

Anyone with an interest in the history of the banjo is welcome. There is a registration fee, though it's pretty reasonable considering all George does. Of course a noted clawhammer player like yourself would especially welcome. The jams tend more toward minstrel style than modern clawhammer, though.

Oh, and it takes place in the barn of the Pry House on the Antietam Battlefield.

Mary Z. Cox said:
Please what is this event? Is it something that I would be welcome?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service