Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

A quick question by a newbie.
What inspired me to take up the Banjo was seeing quite a few of this forum's members at the Pry House a few years back (Tim, Carl, John, George, to name a few), I searched the web and didn't see info on this event. Is this happening this year?
Regards,
ErickG

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand that George Wunderlich's wife has been ill lately, and I'm sure that has made it difficult for him to commit to anything. So no, it doesn't look like a gathering will happen this year. I will be pleased to be wrong about this.
Carl Anderton said:
I understand that George Wunderlich's wife has been ill lately, and I'm sure that has made it difficult for him to commit to anything. So no, it doesn't look like a gathering will happen this year. I will be pleased to be wrong about this.
I never saw any 2008 banjo gathering videos on you tube or Tim's site.Was there a banjo gathering in 2008?
Unfortunately there was not a gathering in 2008. I was looking for an alternative. The issue is geographical as much as anything else. The other issue is scheduling. At this point I'm booked for that weekend (the Antietam anniversary), so if we want to host a gathering we have to agree on a date and a location.

I suggested in an earlier forum the weekend of July 11 in Wauconda, Il, since there is a reenactment there that could support us as well. Nobody seemed too eager to come to Illinois, so I guess I'll throw it out to everyone.

Can someone come up with a location and date that a majority of us would agree on? It won't have the same panache as a George Wunderlich sponsered event, but it would be fun to get together, learn some, and play a lot.
Hi John,

Although I never attended, the Gettysburg NPS Music Muster sounds like a potential venue, I believe this is the weekend of August 22. From my understanding, most period music is represented by (fife & drum, brass bands, and string/parlor/minstrel bands). Just a thought....
Shaker Village, KY.

http://www.shakervillageky.org
If there had been an AEBG III, I guess AEBG IV would have been last week.

Seems quite a spell since I've seen an actual minstrel banjo player, in person. These YouTubes and whatnot are nice, but they don't have the give and take quality of the get-togethers.

On the plus side, they don't smell like pipes.

Dick
Shaker Village, Ky would be an awesome site. Imagine getting us all together for a riverboat cruise...!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service