Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Paul Ely Smith's Discussions (89)

Discussions Replied To (88) Replies Latest Activity

"Yeah, waulking songs are cool.  Apparently they pee on the woven wool and the urine…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 13, 2014 to Scottish and African-American Musical Acculturation in the Old South

5 Aug 13, 2014
Reply by Mark Weems

"Mark, I think I have been outlining my evidence at various points throughout this th…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 12, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014
Reply by Tom Meisenheimer

"A distinction between the musical influences of West Africans and African-Americans…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 11, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

"I don't think it did die out.  It continues to hide in plain sight.  Ragtime piano,…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 11, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

"Hm, I guess it was a little disappointing for me when I figured that out 30 years ag…"

61 Aug 20, 2014

"We aren't going to find a 19th-c (or 18th-c, since "Pompey" is that old) African tun…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 10, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

"I agree, FBC thought it was an act.  I'm saying that he may not have understood what…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 9, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

"Hi Joel, FBC was no doubt a nice guy, but he didn't seem to me to have much respect…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 9, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

"Yeah, that's the Converse.  The "cakewalk syncopation" is common enough in minstrel…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 8, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

"I suspect very few people agree with me on this (though people have never been able…"

Paul Ely Smith replied Aug 8, 2014 to Repertoire advice? Early banjo pieces that show African influence?

61 Aug 20, 2014

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2020   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service