Minstrel Banjo

For enthusiasts of early banjo

Uncategorized (1,698)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Buckley's Fiddle Book of 1855

I had the good fortune of meeting Mark Wingate on the internet this week. He was kind enough to share the Buckley Fiddle Book of 1855. This…

Started by Tim Twiss

5 Feb 14, 2009
Reply by Tim Twiss

heads up: 1867 patent H.C. Dobson

Just got a phone call from someone who has an old banjo she wants to sell. Said she didn't know squat about banjos, but had seen enough ant…

Started by Dan Gellert

1 Feb 12, 2009
Reply by Dave Culgan

Stroke vs. Thimble playing, according to Clarence Partee, 1895.

Practical Hints on Modern Banjo Playing, By Clarence L. Partee. No. 5. Stroke Playing and Modern Thimble Playing. _______________________…

Started by Carl Anderton

5 Feb 11, 2009
Reply by Dan Gellert

Virginia Minstrels

Folks, I'm trying to pinpoint some of the Virginia Minstrels' performances in Virginia. I found a newspaper article that mentions them per…

Started by Cousin Lucius

1 Feb 10, 2009
Reply by Brian Welch

Old King Crow

Folks, Can anyone tell me who wrote Old King Crow, and what Minstrel group(s) performed it? I'm trying to pin down the use of the song ge…

Started by Cousin Lucius

3 Feb 7, 2009
Reply by Carl Anderton

Need help

Hello all, I used to reenact several years ago and found this site and thought you all could help me. Many yeasr ago I had bought some tap…

Started by Taylor Mayhew

2 Feb 5, 2009
Reply by Taylor Mayhew

Lew Brimmer and good times.

Lew Brimmer (ca.1841-1883) started in show business in 1861 with Christy’s Minstrels. He was a terrific banjo player and comedian, but he h…

Started by Carl Anderton

1 Feb 3, 2009
Reply by Dan'l

Nuther song

If anybody is into it, let's try "Keel Row Reel". It is a fiddle tune, but is old and should be quite adaptable to the banjo. I hope perhap…

Started by Tim Twiss

19 Feb 2, 2009
Reply by Trapdoor2

Banjo Roots Presentation at the Mercer Museum (http://mercermuseum.org/)

For those of you who live in the Philadelphia area, I'm giving a Banjo Roots presentation on Sunday from 1:30 to 3:00 at the Mercer Museum…

Started by Greg Adams

1 Jan 31, 2009
Reply by razyn

A remarkable performance.

Reminiscences Of A Banjo Player. Second letter. By A. Baur. _________ ...I heard a performance once on the banjo that would have been c…

Started by Carl Anderton

1 Jan 28, 2009
Reply by Dan'l

RSS

About

John Masciale created this Ning Network.

© 2024   Created by John Masciale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service